For most participants in a team meeting, the motivation to participate can be increased by creating a climate that boosts the participants’ confidence.[Tweet “Motivate participation in a team meeting with a climate that boosts self-esteem and confidence. “]
There are a number of ways to motivate participation including:
- Acknowledge and listen to all ideas
- Turn questions back to the group
- Record all ideas, using their own words, and make them visible by posting them on flip chart sheets
- Ask for examples from the group members’ own experiences
- Look for and point out merit, even in inappropriate answers
- Avoid arguments and making right/wrong judgments
- Express confidence in the group
- Give complete reasons for directions
- Keep notes and live up to follow-up commitments
- Give constructive feedback and build behaviors through positive reinforcement
From Motivate Your Team in 30 Days, by Bob Urichuck and Dave Urichuck
Download a free chapter from Motivate Your Team in 30 Days here.
Bob Urichuck is an internationally sought after speaker, trainer—founder of the “Buyer Focused” Velocity Selling System—and best-selling author in six languages. His latest books, Velocity Selling: How to Attract, Engage and Empower Buyers to Buy, and Motivate Your Team in 30 Days are new in 2014.
Sales Velocity. Your Bottom Line. Our Passion